Thursday, July 12, 2012

Applying for Grants--Where do I even start?

My grant proposal to relocate existing computer equipment in my library to create a teaching-learning lab was denied by the Boise Education Foundation this week, but I'm not ready to give up yet. I'm just out to find about $5200 for some electrical work, cutting down and reinstalling metal bookcases, and moving ny ceiling-mounted projector and screen so that I have something resembling an actual computer lab rather than just a collection of computers.  I hate having to give instructions at round tables, then if anything else comes up, give more instructions three different times in the different parts of the library.  Having 30 computers in the same space will help things tremendously.

So here are some of the places I'm finding to locate and apply for grants:

Micron. I can't believe this didn't cross my mind before today, but duh. Micron.

Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance. The Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance (CFDA) provides a full listing of all Federal programs available to State and local governments (including the District of Columbia); federally-recognized Indian tribal governments; Territories (and possessions) of the United States; domestic public, quasi- public, and private profit and nonprofit organizations and institutions; specialized groups; and individuals.

Grant Sources from Education World. The list is about two years old, but lists several grant programs (with links directly to the relevant sites a grant-seeker needs) that didn't come up elsewhere.

Fundsnet Services. Another directory of grants and fundraising opportunities. It looks like partial support may come from those "sell these products to raise money" companies, but a good, thorough directory for grant dollars, as well.

This is all still so new to me, it needs to marinate for a while before I'm going to know what to do next. I hope we can make this work!

UPDATE: Innovative Approaches to Literacy grants from the DOE are due August 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment