Monday, July 30, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday -- Top Ten Books I Still Need to Read Before the End of Summer Vacation

(I realize it's Monday, but I'm out of the library tomorrow.)

With not quite a month of summer left to go, here are ten books I've been meaning to read and must do so before school starts up again.

  1. Habibi by Craig Thompson. Gorgeous, intricate, exceptionally well-reviewed graphic novel from the author of Blankets.
  2. Okay for Now by Gary Schmidt. Recommended as "another Carter Finally Gets It," funny middle-school-boy humor.
  3. Trafficked by Kim Purcell. Story of a Moldovan teen brought to the US as a domestic worker. Compared favorably with Patricia McCormick's Sold.
  4. Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta. The second book in this series came out not too long ago, and my husband's been hassling me to read Jellicoe Road for I don't know how long. But a fantasy series written by an acclaimed author of teen realistic fiction? I don't know how I missed this one in the first place.
  5. Chopsticks by Jessica Anthony. I've flipped through this one a half-dozen times, and I love the storytelling style.  
  6. Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. This book is regarded as gospel by our environmental science teacher.
  7. Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein. Okay, so this one is for my librarians' book club. Tonight. So I should read it eventually. I will probably be much more motivated after tonight's discussion. Not that I'm not excited about it, or it doesn't sound amazing, it just kind of got relegated to my "need to read" list rather than my "want to read" list.
  8. What Video Games Have to Teach Us about Learning and Literacy by James Paul Gee. Another book club selection, this one for the Level Up Book Club. I've been feeling left out of the online discussion but haven't been able to place a library order until very recently. Also, in my typical style, I have been terrified about actually participating in the online discussion with people I avidly follow on Twitter, so not having read the book has been a handy excuse for not sucking it up and just joining in, already.
  9. Are You My Mother? by Alison Bechdel. I LOVED her first graphic novel, Fun Home. I'm not expecting an easy read, but so looking forward to getting my hands on this one!
  10. Steal Like an Artist: Ten Things Nobody Told You about Being Creative by Austin Kleon. After an exciting discussion at ISTE this June, I'm trying to look at creativity as a series of habits, not just an innate ability.
What about you, readers? What's in that stack of books on your bedside table you've been meaning to get to?

No comments:

Post a Comment